Jul 23, 2013
· I took the recent online machine learning class with Coursera. It was a good experience and I learned a lot. Here are some notes and observations.
Jul 12, 2013
· The last Zurich WebTuesday was fun. Six speakers presented six languages in seven minutes each. I did Go.
Jun 5, 2013
· A great resource for job hunting techies, concise and full of valuable advice.
May 23, 2013
· We had two great zhgeeks meetups recently: Sean Cribbs spoke about Riak and eventual consistency, and Jim Webber presented Neo4j. Sean's talk was also an intro to distributed systems with a list of foundational papers that I list in this post.
May 9, 2013
· Tony Hoare's "Communicating sequential processes" is not only a very influential Computer Science paper, but it was also a main inspiration for Go. It is full of examples written in a pseudo-code designed for the paper. I translated all these examples to Go, with unit tests.
Apr 15, 2013
· An amazing little book about a deep but not widely recognized problem in software development: "How folklore turns into fact and what to do about it". Strongly recommended.
Feb 11, 2013
· I ported dwmstatus to Go, a utility to set the title of the X root window, which dwm uses to set the content of the status bar.
Dec 10, 2012
· The Google Developers Group Zurich organized a great weekend of talks, hacking and networking in October. Unexpectedly, I got to present Go in an hour-long hands-on tutorial.
Dec 22, 2011
· The online class was a bold experiment, bringing Stanford teaching by Sebastian Thun and Peter Norvig to over 100,000 students. I loved the experience and got a lot out of it. Here are some thoughts and selected notes.
Mar 20, 2011
· Excellent. A must-read if you want to improve your public speaking.